Thank you for your answers.

First of all, I'm using Firebird since version 1.0 in many different projects
and was always pleased with the performance and stability.

I don't want to complain about Firebird, I was just a bit surprised to find a
performance problem, where I never expected it (and did not understand it),
especially compared to other databases.

In my current project, I'm developing a middelware, using an SQL database as
persistence. I try to support many different databases and like to keep the
code as common as possible. (That's why I try not to add procedures and
triggers)

Currently I'm using Derby, Oracle, Firebird and MS SQL, that's why I can easily
compare the performance of this DBs in different areas.

I'm using identical indices on all these databases, and none of the other shows
any delays on that max() function. (Even with MS SQL and Oracle using MVCC
design)

In deed, I'm using the max() function to create IDs for new elements, but since
this is done by a synchronized method within the middleware, it just need to be
done once on the first connect. But this call for two tables needs up to 60 sec
on an 3GHz i7 quadcore, with the database file on a SSD drive. This slows down
the first login to the system.

Knowing nothing about the internal structure of an index in Firebird, I still
believe, that getting the maximum value from an column with an ascending index
should not need a full table scan.

Never mind, using a descending index does speed up the process as you suggested.

I find the following Note in the firebird documentation:

'If you define a descending constraint-enforcing index on a primary or unique
key, be sure to make any foreign keys referencing it descending as well.'

Are the following statements correct?

create table a(
 id int not null,
 primary key (id) using desc index ai_pk
)

create table b(
 ref int not null
 )

alter table b add constraint bc_fk1 foreign key (ref) references a(id) on
delete cascade using desc index bi_fk1

Has an descending index any performance drawbacks when inserting rows with
ascending ids ?

Thanks !

Marc