Hello,

> we have some problems by inserting data into an table. In our case, the
> customer inserts characters in a field varchar(XX) with special character
> “°”. This little ° with character set iso8859_1 and collation de_de by
> inserting generates a gds-exception error: 335544321 arithmetic exception,
> numeric overflow, or string truncation. Cannot transliterate character
> between character sets.

Both,

U+00B0 DEGREE SIGN (see above)
and
U+00BA MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR

are part of ISO 8859-1 and at the same position (Unicode in the range
U+0000 to U+00FF and ISO 8859-1 are congruent). So the problem seems
to be with the Client Connection Character Set. Which one do you use?
Which Firebird version do you use on Server and Client?

--

Sorry, the customer claims that this little character is the problem. Now I
have found, that He wanted more character to insert into the table as

The client is java jdbc, the database firebird 2.5 cs.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Olaf