Actually, active users stay connected to old renamed database.
It can happen only on linux, never on Windows.

Regards
Bogdan

>Hi, I get your point.

>But I wonder what can happen when we don't kill the existing clients before
restoring with the same database file name.

>Actually I had a bad exprience on this :)

>-One client remained active after a restore operation and continued to run
on the newly restored database. (It's firebird 2.5.1)

>-It generated ID numbers which was already consumed with others.
>-It did not generate any errors even on uniquely indexed rows, the records
it created were just not reachable anymore.

>So I think every client should be disconnected before restoring and this
should be a very strict rule for preventing any data loss or conflicts,
maybe firebird developers can confirm this.

--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:firebird-support%40yahoogroups.com> , Elmar Haneke <elmar@...>