unordained schrieb am 11.04.2012 um 15:18 (-0500):

> I once worked on medical software (with Firebird!) and we had to
> deal with ICD-9 and CPT-4 codes. The coding mechanism is somewhat
> hierarchical: code 201 might mean something, and 201.1 might be
> more specific, and 201.12 might be even *more* specific.

Sounds like it might be a cool application for nested sets
to represent tree as popularized by Joe Celko.

https://www.google.com/search?q=celko+tree

Funny, first hit for me looks like an InterBase site. :)

http://www.ibase.ru/devinfo/DBMSTrees/sqltrees.html

But maybe your scenario wouldn't have been a precise fit
for that model.

Michael