Thanks for the quick reply.  We'll know the results in ninety minutes.

-----Original Message-----
From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ann Harrison
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:49 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [firebird-support] Database restore failure

Rick,

A database restore failed.  Does anyone know what these errors mean, and
> what we can do to prevent this from happening again?
>
> /* backup */
> gbak -GARBAGE_COLLECT -b rxsaccessdb:accessrxs
> /usr/backup/firebird/accessrxs.fbk
>
> /* test restore */
> gbak -v -se it-test:service_mgr -use_all_space -r
> /opt/firebird/db/accessrxs.fbk /opt/firebird/db/accessrxs_3.fdb
>
> gbak:    47330000 records restored
> gbak: adjusting an invalid decompression length from 78 to 73
> gbak:    47333043 records restored
> gbak: do not recognize table attribute 0 -- continuing ...
> gbak: do not recognize table attribute 0 -- continuing
> gbak: ERROR: string truncated
> gbak: Exiting before completion due to errors

What that means is that the gbak file is corrupt.  The first message
"adjusting an invalid decompression length from 78 to 73" is an attempt
correct the error, hoping that ignoring some minor problem will let the
rest of the restore succeed.  No such luck.  Elements in the backup file
are tagged with attribute numbers which determine how the element should
be
expanded.  There is no attribute zero.

I notice that you seem to have done a test restore, which is a very good
thing.  What I would do next is backup the database again and retry the
restore.  With any luck, that will succeed and you might look in the
system
log for write errors on the previous backup file.  If the second try
also
fails, if I were you, I'd get a copy of IBBackupSurgeon and let it tell
you
what went wrong.  Of course, being me, what I'd actually do is build a
debugging gbak and get my answers from there, but you'll save a lot of
time
with a good tool.

Good luck,

Ann

Disclaimer: This message (including attachments) is confidential and may be
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or
dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. RxStrategies, Inc. shall
not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information
contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt or damage to
your system. RxStrategies, Inc. does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free from
viruses, interceptions or interference.