Afternoon ehaerim,

On 09/06/12 02:16, ehaerim wrote:
> thx it works again!
>
> but when it comes to INTEGER or SMALLINT type, it won't work again.
> for example,

It seems, unfortunately, that the set width command only affects
character columns. I've done a few tests with other data types and it
has no effect on those.

You may need to cast the numeric columns to character to get the desired
result:

SQL> select a from norm;

============
            1
           10
          100
         1000

SQL> set width a 5;
SQL> select a from norm;

============
            1
           10
          100
         1000

SQL> select cast (a as varchar(10)) as a from norm;

=====
1
10
100
1000

Problem is, now you lose the right justification normally given to
numerics. :-(

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. I thought there was a corresponding "set numwidth a 5" command. I
eventually remembered that that is in Oracle - set numwidth 5.

--
Norman Dunbar
Dunbar IT Consultants Ltd

Registered address: