jasonvvvvvv schrieb am 03.09.2012 um 04:11 (-0000):

> My aims  are (i) establishing a new database on the new computer and
> (ii) ensuring that the old records are safely transferred. … would
> anyone please advise on the new database establishment as well as the
> record transferral as I am really a newbie to firebird.

Install Firebird on the new computer. I guess I'd pick either 2.0.7 or
2.1.5, latest releases for 2.0 and 2.1, just a couple months old.

http://www.firebirdsql.org/

There's some choices to be made when installing, like classic vs SS.
Can't say what's best for you. You might just want to go with the same
settings you already have for your old database.

Then, data migration. Make sure the old database is offline, i.e.
doesn't have attachments (connections), so your data doesn't get changed
while being migrated, potentially resulting in record loss.

Take a backup of the database using the gbak utility program coming with
the old database installation.

Copy the backup file to the new computer (using Windows Explorer).

Restore the backup on the new computer using the gbak utility program
coming with the new Firebird installation.

This page will come in handy when using gbak:

http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/gbak-recipies.html
--
Michael Ludwig