On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Bob Murdoch <mailgro...@murdochfl.com>wrote:

> That has been a problem for a very long time.  Right now, a full
> backup/restore cycle is taking more than 24 hours, and at best we only
> have a 12 hour window at best on a Sunday.  Hence the May 2009
> creation date of the current DB.

Sorry to jump into this late, but I had a thought (rare, but it happens).
 It appears
that through some glitch, an old transaction is listed as active on the
header page
but is not actually present.  Firebird is running in Classic mode, with one
process
per connection.   The oldest active from the header page is not visible
through the
monitoring tables.  Shutting down the database does not cure the problem -
that's
odd, which is why I'm suggesting that there's a glitch.

What you might try is installing SuperServer configuration of the same
version of
Firebird using the instructions for installing multiple versions of
Firebird.  Shut down
the Classic and start the SuperServer.  If there's actually a client out
there using
the database, SuperServer won't be able to get the access it needs to the
database
file and that will suggest where to look for the missing active
transaction.  If it does
start, it should reset the oldest active.

Good luck,

Ann