At 02:19 a.m. 27/11/2012, André Knappstein wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>preparing finally for the leap of faith and switch from 1.5.6 to 2.5.2
>on  all applications and databases. So far everything is still nice. I
>followed documentations and postings on the -Fix_FSS_M switch.
>
>I never made too wide use of UDFs, so I don't expect too many problems
>there.
>
>No I found the following:
>On   occasions   (not   regularly,  but quite often)  I  get the "size
>specification  either missing or incorrect...". I checked old postings
>but did not find something for my case.
>
>I am not specifying file sizes. Each database consists of only 1 file.

The minimum abbreviation for the -password switch is -pass (not -pas).  This
error is occurring because of confusion with -pa[ge_size].

>I  have  the  impression  that the order of parameters in gbak.exe can
>influence the quota of errors, but can't lay a hand on it.

In older versions, it worked best to place the -user and -password parameters
at the end for a restore.  I'm not aware that this still holds for 2.x
versions, though.

>For example, the following mostly works, but not always:
>gbak  -rep Z:\Local\Daten\BU_SFiles Z:\Local\Daten\SFiles -user SYSDBA
>-pas masterkey ­y Z:\Local\Daten\X_SFiles.txt -v -FIX_FSS_M WIN1252
>
>while the next one sometimes works, but in most cases not:
>gbak  -rep Z:\Local\Daten\BU_SFiles Z:\Local\Daten\SFiles -user SYSDBA
>-pas masterkey -v -FIX_FSS_M WIN1252 ­y Z:\Local\Daten\X_SFiles.txt

I guess you remembered that you'll get an error if you try to output the
-verify text to a file name that already exists?

>note please, that I only change the order of parameters.
>Also,  this  only  happens  when  restoring from 1.5.x backup to 2.5.2
>server.  Restoring  from functional 2.5.2 backups never fails with any
>error.
>
>One  thing I can definitely say is that in several 100 occasions, gbak
>never fails if I drop the -y <path> option completely.

See above - output files MUST be uniquely named.

----->>
By the way, if you are using the gbak instructions in Ch. 39 of The Firebird
Book Second Edition that was released on the IBPhoenix DVD #21 in August, you
should know that two lots of Errata relating to that chapter have been fixed
since then.  You can refresh your book at the IBPhoenix web site. <<-------

./heLen