Thomas,

> I once run a test with insertion performance in Firebird 2.5 with a)
> sequential PK values coming from a generator and b) via the built-in
> function giving me a UUID.

reversed UUIDs, by putting the fixed part at the front, should perform
better in this regard than plai UUID.
I don't know if the function you have used generates that kind of UUID.
I know that I once used a UDF that did that and performance was better
than with (at the time, client-generated) UUIDs.
High/Low is also good, as huge batch of inserts would inherently use
sequential IDs, but this requires a little more setup.
--
Nando Dessena