Hi - I'm using IBO as a replacement to BDE in my delphi application.

In converting my code I've come to a problem where I need to understand FB
transactions better.

In my code I need to update the metadata and data of an already running
database on costumer sites.

What I would like to happen, is that the entire update and is contained within
one single transaction.

As an example (From Helen Borries book):

ALTER TABLE PERSONNEL
ADD TEMP_COL VARCHAR(18);
COMMIT;

UPDATE PERSONNEL
SET TEMP_COL = CAST(TEL_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(18))
WHERE TEL_NUMBER IS NOT NULL;
COMMIT;

There are 2 commits, and it seems to be necessary? No way of using nested
transactions here?

My problem isn't exactly with the above code, but something similar that
involves altering a table, adding some data to the table, and then again
altering tables, adding constraints etc in the end.

I hoped it would be possible to encapsulate it all in one transaction, so that
if something goes wrong, I'll be able to do a ROLLBACK, and things will be as
they were before.

What the best way to handle this kind of thing?
Thanks
Jacob