Thanks for your response.  The version of gbak is 2.52 right off the
Firebirdsql.com website yesterday.  The database was backed up successfully
using that version of gbak, but would not restore without the indicated error.

gbak has another problem (will not reliably backup one of our databases) so we
would use another backup agent if we could.