Reinier Olislagers skriver:
> On 30/09/2013 10:53, Kjell Rilbe wrote:
>> Den 2013-09-28 16:23 skrev Carlos H. Cantu såhär:
>>> What would be safer:
>>>
>>> Keep FW OFF and Journaling ON
>>> or
>>> Keep FW ON and Journaling OFF
>> I*m going to suggest something unorthodox: if you have performance
>> issues, turn off both journaling and forced writes, and insteasd opt for
>> a tight backup schedule and/or RAID and/or b attery backed-up disk
>> controllers etc.
> <snip>
>> For us, we have a dedicated server where they (the service provider)
>> have power backups and we also have the database on a RAID 1 volume. We
>> have forced writes off and do nightly backups to a remote secure backup
>> volume. The likelyhood of a crash is low enough that we can accept to
>> lose on day's worth of updates in the unlikely case it happens. We are
>> considering some NBackup solution with somewhat tighter higher-level
>> backups, but haven't gone through with it yet.
> Interesting.
> As posted before, replication could give you a copy which could be used
> for queries as well.
> If I may ask, why are you looking at NBackup versus a replication
> solution? Ease of use/setup?
>
> Or perhaps you intend to use nbackup to perform the backup and restore
> it to a different host? AFAIR you're dealing with huge amounts of data
> so I assume you don't?

First off, I haven't really investigate replication. At first glance it
appears to be an unnecessarily complicated solution, also requiring a
third party tool. I also think that it might put an undesirable load on
the server during "office hours", while backups can be made during the
night when the system is idle.

The database is rather large (with regard to time required to make a
copy/backup etc) - about 85 Gbyte. We have a rather low budget server
with moderately fast disks, so at present I do think that we wouldn't
want to put any additional load on the server during normal operation,
which I expect replication would (twice as many disk writes).

I also fin the NBackup solution to be simple and straight-forward, at
least with the current "only level 0" setup. In fact I currently make
the copy using FastCopy instead of with NBackup itself (using Nbackup
only to lock/unlock). I then use rsync to copy the local copy to a
remote secure backup volume. I could rsync directly, but making a local
copy first has the benefit that I also get a copy that I can use for
devel/test/debug purposes.

It might not be optimal - perhaps replication would be even better? But
for the time being it's good enough.

Regards,
Kjell

<*> Your email settings: