I agree I should keep an eye on the versions for this table. Being third
party code I'm not exactly sure about the usage of the table but it's
roughly something like two updates every 5 seconds, in separate
transactions.

I forgot to mention we're using Firebird classic. When we've had the
unresponsive table problem, we've shutdown our system and are left with
only one connection to the problem database. The pid for this connection
cannot be killed, even with "kill -9". This I don't understand.  Does
anyone know why a "kill -9" would not work and what sort of state
Firebird has gotten into?

Thanks,
Greg