Andy,
The way to know if a DB is accessible (online, and if the customer network can
reach you - can not be interconnected networks) is to make a small application
with a connection and attempting to connect.

With VB6, at this link, you have an explanation of how to do such application.
http://www.daniweb.com/software-development/visual-basic-4-5-6/threads/352387/how-to-create-a-connection-with-adodb

There you see you can do it easily, may be stil not using ODBC. But, if by any
reason, you prefer it, change the connection string for using an ODBC driver.
With VB6, you have an connection builder, that can build it for you in both
ways, with/out ODBC.

Good luck,
Roberto Camargo.

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:24 AM, marcus <mar...@antiphasis.net> wrote:

Hej all,

Andrew Gable wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know any good free to use replication software.
>
> What i have is as follows
>
> I have 4-20 terminals with a database that holds all the products/
> cashier ids etc in it and I want the system to sync the local database
>
> to it the server and then delete any data that his has processed
>
> can this be done with Replication or do I need to create my own app to
> handle this
Sorry, could't resist: first answers @ google when searching for
"firebird replication"
http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/some-solutions-to-old-problems/
http://www.firebirdfaq.org/faq249/
http://www.symmetricds.org/
http://www.ibphoenix.com/download/tools/replication

IIRC, Holger Klemt (ibexpert.net) has written an article about how to
build your own replication some few years (~2005?) ago in a german
developer magazin.

There are several show stoppers buried in the database layout, such as
ids, primary and foreign keys, unique values, generators and triggers.

> Also does anyone know anyway of checking to see if the server is online
> before connection to it in VB6 (via ODBC Driver)
You will have no luck accessing the firebird services API via ODBC, as
ODBC is data only.

One option would be to work with something like try-catch(-finally). I
don't know if that feature is available in VB6

Feel free to take a look at:
- http://pythonhosted.org/fdb/usage-guide.html#working-with-services
Even if not programming in python, it declares a lot about how to attach
to a service.

> thanks
>
> Andy

hth, Marcus

Visit http://www.firebirdsql.org and click the Resources item
on the main (top) menu.  Try Knowledgebase and FAQ links !

Also search the knowledgebases at http://www.ibphoenix.com

Yahoo Groups Links

    (Yahoo! ID required)