Hello, Evelyne!

EG> The problem is that the index seems to keep having < old > values
EG> until there is not a single connection to the database (even if I
EG> commit every transaction).  This causes me real performance
EG> problems on 24/7 systems ... some query wich ran in less than a second now
EG> take a minute to go.

your "problem" is versions, because index keep all keys for all
versions. If you have active transactions, garbage collection
does not work, and obsolete keys and versions are not cleaned.
Check gstat -r to see how many versions tables have when you have
performance problems.

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, www.ib-aid.com