> I have a strange slowdown problem with a Firebird database. During the
> daily use of the database the clients experience significant slowdowns
> while the system still have lots of resources available. Some
> information about the environment:
>
> - 64 bit Firebird 2.5.2 server running in SuperServer mode
> - the database is running on a 64 bit Windows 2008 R2 server OS
> - the server OS is running in a VMware 4.1 VM with 4 CPU cores and 16 GB of
> RAM
> - the database size is around 37 GB and the number of concurrent
> connections to the database is around 150.
>
> While observing the slowdowns:
>
> - the CPU usage on the machine is between 40-60% without higher spikes
> and the load is nicely distributed among all 4 cores

With SuperServer on a single database? I doubt.

The most obvious switch is to a SMP-capable architecture like
SuperClassic or Classic.

Then there is some general tuning/tweaking away from default settings
necessary, but this all depends on your particular case ...

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer

Professional Tools and Services for Firebird
FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.