Hello Dirk,

> I have a customer where Firebird 2.5.2 (32bit) is running under Windows
> 8 64bit.
>
> The following errors are repeatedly found in the firebird.log
>
> BARBAR (Server)             Wed Feb 19 14:22:54 2014
>
>                  Error in isc_attach_database() API call when working
> with security database
>
>                  operating system directive CreateFile failed
>
>                  Access denied
>
> BARBAR (Server)             Wed Feb 19 14:37:42 2014
>
>                  INET/inet_error: read errno = 10054
>
> What causes these errors, especially the first?

Well, I don't have Windows 8 running, but it sounds a bit like a
permission issue, e.g. having Firebird installed in the program files
folder and running Firebird under a user with restricted privileges ...

Is Firebird running as a Windows service or as an application?

Other than that, what Dmitry has suggested.

--
With regards,
Thomas Steinmaurer

Professional Tools and Services for Firebird
FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.