LI-V6.3.5.18496 Firebird 2.1

On 25/04/2014 10:04, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:46:42 +0100, Tim Ward <t...@telensa.com> wrote:
> This seems to be repeatable:
>
> (1) Store the procedure in the database from Database Workbench with
> connection character set "none".
>
> (2) You can now read it no problem using the same instance of Database
> Workbench, but someone else who has Database Workbench's character set
> "UTF8" then gets the transliteration error on trying to read the
> procedures.
>
> It seems to me that (1) is most likely to be the problem - it appears
> that Database Workbench allowed me to store illegitimate garbage into
> the database: something should have told me not to or at least warned me

> that I was being silly?
>
> Might not sound like a big deal, but with hundreds of procedures, and
> the transliteration error message giving not the remotest clue as to
> what the problem was, it took several of us many hours over several days

> to find it.

I would expect that the UNICODE_FSS character set of the system tables
would disallow this, which Firebird version do you use? You might want to
consider looking at
http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/html/rlsnotes252.html#rnfb25-utils-gbak-fix01
as in older versions it was possible that the metadata used a different
character set which could lead to these kinds of problems. The solution is
to 'fix' this with the proper -fix_fss_metadata option in gbak.

Mark

--
Tim Ward