Hi,
 I have been using IB from 1999 then FB from v1, for conventional applications,
recently I started an unconventional experiment (in database terms) and am
uncertain about some of my assumptions.

 I will state my assumptions as I understand them and would appreciate comments.

 Assumptions:
 1) There is no performance penalty for having many thousands of stored
procedures (other than the storage space, and possibly manageability with GUI
tools like flamerobin that reads the DDL).

 2) There is performance gains in making use of stored procedures over execute
blocks, especially
 when the statements are long and complex.

 3) There is no significant performance penalty in breaking up a large stored
procedures into many sub stored procedures and invoking them from the original
stored procedure.

 4) SQL statements run as byte code in a “virtual machine” and are just as as
speed efficient(if not more so) at data and sting manipulation (Casting,
concatenation, substing and replace) than other byte coded languages such as
java, python etc.

 Regards,
 Lafras
  • [fire... laf...@xietel.com [firebird-support]