IMHO what is going on is that Firebird is using the lock file (for Classic installation) to synchronize between various connections (threads in this case) to allow one by one to write to FDB file. I also tested this and if you run various threads inserting among different tables there are no performance issues. The fastest way I found to insert multiple rows in a Firebird database is run a Stored Procedure that contains various inserts in form of a long string. The SP's splits this string in various inserts. With this approach I can insert around 11,000 recods/second! (if there are no Indexes, even PK).

This is the SP's body:

SET TERM ^ ;

create or alter procedure SP_INSERTS (
    TABELA varchar(50),
    CAMPOS varchar(1024),
    VALORES varchar(32750))
as
declare variable WSTART integer;
declare variable WCMD varchar(32750);
declare variable WPOS integer;
declare variable WSTR varchar(32750);
begin
  wStart = 1;
  while (1=1) do
  begin
    wPOS = POSITION(' # ', valores, wStart);
    if (wPOS = 0) then
      break;

    wSTR = substring(valores from wStart for wPOS - wStart);
    wStart = wPOS + 3;

    wCmd = 'insert into ' || tabela || campos || ' values ' || wSTR;
    execute statement wCmd;
  end
end^

SET TERM ; ^

How to use:
execute procedure SP_INSERTS('MY_TABLE', '(id, name, foo)', '(1, 'A', 'AA') # (2, 'B', 'BB') # (3, 'C', 'CC')');

Also, there are some limitations with this technique. The entire command does not exceed 64Kb, so you must trim the string and split between more commands.

I hope I can help you, and sorry about some English mistakes.
Fabiano.