>Thanks Martijn.  I had a quick look at DBWorkbench and it looks like a good
>tool for getting a diff
>between a dev and prod database and I will investigate it further, however it
>doesn't address the
>issue of distributing (or applying/executing) that diff when I don't have
>access to the server to
>be updated.

Basically, there are two good, competing Firebird tools: Database Workbench and
IB Expert. Most of us probably just started using one of them and are satisfied
with the one we chose. I think that once upon a time, DB Workbench was a bit
easier to use, whereas IB Expert had a few more features, but DB Workbench has
at least added new features since then (I've never tried IB Expert, so I don't
know how that has changed).

>Not the most elegant approach but we can call SP and pass parameters and
>generally get by for the time being.
>The problem occurs as soon as it try any DDL(?)
>'SET TERM ^; ALTER PROCEDURE PROC1 ..' for example, it errors on SET TERM^.

Yes, this is DDL (data definition language) as opposed to DML (data
manipulation language, typically INSERT/SELECT/DELETE). However, I don't think
your problem is related to this difference, it is more likely that you're using
some kind of DSQL, cursor or query component (which typically accept one
statement) where you should use a script component that can accept multiple
statements (since SET TERM is one statement in itself, it's only usable in
scripts).

>Also, formatting a large number of sizeable ALTER PROCEDURE statements to fit
>into the {PROP:SQL} statement
>(while paying close attention to the apostrophes) will likely be a huge PITA.

I do remember having written SELECT 'EXECUTE STATEMENT ... with '''''''' inside
the statement, though I've no knowledge about {PROP:SQL}.

Set
  • ... 'Andrew Zenz' and...@aimsoftware.com.au [firebird-support]
    • ... 'Martijn Tonies (Upscene Productions)' m.ton...@upscene.com [firebird-support]
      • ... 'Andrew Zenz' and...@aimsoftware.com.au [firebird-support]