How about something along the lines of:

A table that small is going to fit into a single disk page. So a table scan involves reading one disk page.

Using the index would involve reading the index as well, which is a second disk page, so twice as slow.

?

(Other RDBMS which have a "covering index" concept can, for appropriate queries, use the index without reading the table at all, and might come to a different conclusion in such cases.)