On 23/02/2016 15:38, 'Zoran' zoran...@gmail.com [firebird-support] wrote:

23.02.2016 16:03, 'Zoran' zoran...@gmail.com [firebird-support] wrote:
>> Why would you use transaction for select statements?

> For data consistency. People like consistent data in reports.

If other clients are using transactions properly (when updating multiple
rows), database should be in a stable state.

In the following sequence:

- you do a SELECT
- some other transaction commits
- you do another SELECT
- you build a report with the results from the two SELECTs

you can get inconsistent results in your report unless your two SELECTs are in a transaction.

Using transactions when not needed (in my opinion - and I am no expert in
Firebird) just add an overhead to the server.

If the database designers have chosen that everything is always done in a transaction then that's how it works - there's no overhead because there's no concept of doing anything without a transaction.

--
Tim Ward

  • [firebird-support... heineferre...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [firebir... Dimitry Sibiryakov s...@ibphoenix.com [firebird-support]