On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 5:51 PM, shg_siste...@yahoo.com.ar
[firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Hello! I  have a FB 2.5 database with a tabla "invoices". I need to add a
> field in that table which will be null most of the times. Lefts say, that
> 90% of the records will have this new field in null.
>
> What is your advice? To create a new table with a FK to "invoices" and
> save the needed field in a separate table (only when the value is not null
> of course)

Each record in the second table would incur nearly bytes of storage
overhead.  The outer join to put together the full record can make query
optimization difficult.  Really, that's a bad idea.

> or just create the new field in the main "invoices" table? I think I read
> somewhere that null fields use very little space in the database. Is that
> true?

Null fields take up very little space.  Every record has space for a null
flag for each field in the record.  The space is there whether or not the
field is null.  A null field is filled with spaces or zeros, depending on
the type. Run-length compression will probably make it disappear.

But seriously, people, don't worry so much about data size!  The basic ODS
on which Firebird is built was designed in 1984 - thirty-two years ago!
Back then, DEC, where Jim and I worked, had three database groups.  We got
together and asked management if there was some way we could get a gigabyte
of disk to do some performance and limits testing.  Management said, "NO.
Too expensive.  No real world application will see those limits."  DEC made
disks and our group was part of disk engineering.  Now you can get 5TB for
$120.  Yes, dense records reduce the amount of I/O, but remember that
Firebird was designed for small disks and almost no memory - it's miserly
about space.

Good luck,

Ann
  • ... shg_siste...@yahoo.com.ar [firebird-support]