Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your reply. The VM I was using only has one core allocated to it.
It was definitely CPU bound for part of the time (as expected), but there were
substantial portions of time where the 1 CPU core was under 5% utilisation and
the I/O should have had plenty of headroom.

There is AV but FDB is excluded (at least is supposed to be, I don't have
visibility to the exclusion list). Temp files are going to be caught I guess.
That said, the relevant AV service was mostly on 0% CPU and wasn't doing much
I/O in resource monitor. It seemed to be behaving itself reasonably by AV
standards.

The linked ticket is referring to a CPU bound performance limitation. It would
be nice if it could use all CPUs for sure, but that isn't the bottleneck in
this weird case.

Thanks
Adam

---In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, <ts@...> wrote :

 > Hello Group,
 >
 > Sorry if this double posts, I received an error when Sending.
 >
 > I was provided with a largish (~27GB) Firebird 2.5 backup file (gbak)
 > yesterday. I have been restoring this on Windows 2012R2 running 2.5.6 Classic
 > using gbak with the -service_mgr switch. This particular VM only has a single
 > CPU core but it is connected to the SAN and isn't doing anything else. I am
 > remote desktop'd into the machine.
 >
 > I have been tracking the restore through several mechanisms:
 > * -v switch of gbak
 > * How large the file is on disk
 > * CPU utilisation (Resource Monitor)
 > * Disk I/O (Resource Monitor)
 >
 > The first 40GB or so of the restored FDB took about an hour or so. The I/O
 > for
 > fb_inet_server.exe was consistently in the 30MB/s range (usually about 10
 > read
 > from the fbk and 20 write to the fdb file)
 > The next 10 GB took 10 hours. Now obviously when it gets to "activating and
 > creating deferred index xyz" it slows down, but I cannot see where the
 > bottleneck is. I have seen extended periods of about 1MB/s reads
 > corresponding
 > with 5% CPU utilisation whilst activating some of those indices. I copied an
 > unrelated 20GB file in the same folder and it happily copied at 50MB/s so
 > there
 > is definitely capacity that isn't being used.
 >
 > I can see that when it activates indices on larger tables it is creating temp
 > files and these are at least being written to at 8+ MB/s.
 >
 > Although I get that activating the indices is going to be slower than
 > restoring
 > the data, I was expecting to see it either CPU and/or disk bound at any
 > moment
 > in time. (Plenty of headroom for memory and network utilisation is very low).

 The restore process is bound to a single physical core. I've seen something
similar in the past, where basically no resource (CPU, disk I/O - throughput +
IOPS) being exhausted, thus not bound to available hardware. Do you have an
Antivirus solution running affecting the restored Firebird database and/or
temporary created files during restore?

 You may also vote for:
 http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-2992
http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-2992

 --
 With regards,
 Thomas Steinmaurer

 Professional Tools and Services for Firebird
 FB TraceManager, IB LogManager, Database Health Check, Tuning etc.

  • [firebird-su... s3057...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fi... 'Thomas Steinmaurer' t...@iblogmanager.com [firebird-support]
      • Re:... s3057...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]
        • ... s3057...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]