From: kragh.tho...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:58 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [firebird-support] Upgrade from superclassic to superserver

Hey

I am in the process of upgrading our Firebird database from 2.5.7 to 3.0.3.
While making the upgrade, I want to switch from SuperClassic to SuperServer in
order to gain better scalability. However configuring SuperServer i new to me.

Background information:

The database server is a 16 core virtual machine with 128Gb of RAM, and ssd
SAN. The database is about 100Gb and growing by 20Gb/year. Daily load is about
3000 concurrent web users. The server is running CentOs 7

Here is the configurations that i have come up with so far. Pagesize is 16K

Firebird config:

DefaultDbCachePages = 524288(8Gb)

On the old server this was 1024. On the new server this value is the one that I
am most concerned about, i hope that someone can guide me. I have seen values
of up to 2M(32Gb) in other guides, and I tempted to do the same.

FileSystemCacheThreshold = 1048576

The old server used defa ult for 2.5.x

TempCacheLimit = 4294967296

Same as the old server

TempBlockSize = 2097152

Same as the old server

LockMemSize = 9437184

Same as the old server

LockHashSlots = 30011

Same as the old server

Regarding Centos:

Number of open files has been configured to 64K

Reading this Guide:
https://firebirdsql.org/file/community/tour-2017/firebird.tuning.2017.english.pdf
 vm.pagecache should be limited to 40-50% However it looks like vm.pagecache is
not availabel in CentOs, should  vfs_cache_pressure be used instead?

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction or give some feedback.

  • [firebird-support]... kragh.tho...@yahoo.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [firebird... 'livius' liviusliv...@poczta.onet.pl [firebird-support]
    • [firebird-sup... blackfalconsoftw...@outlook.com [firebird-support]