Lee,

> I’m struggling to grant any privileges on a .fdb file database.

> I have created a separate user as the SYSDBA reported “Your login
> SYSDBA is same as one of the SQL role name. Ask your database
> administrator to set up a valid Firebird Login”.

The SYSDBA user exists already.  The password is 'masterkey' but you
should change this immediately.

> When I use ISQL to run a select statement on the database in question I get
> the response:

> “Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 28000
> No permission for read/select access to TABLE ZIEKTE”

> Then I try to GRANT SELECT on TABLE ZIEKTE to USER DW_EXTRACT” however I get
> the response:

> “Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 28000
> Unsuccessful metadata update
> -no S privilege with grant option on table/view ZIEKTE”

You need to be logged in as SYSDBA or the database owner.  An ordinary
user can't grant permissions to self nor to any other user.

> I’ve tried numerous tables but I get the same response.
> I have tested the user on the Example database “EMPLOYEE” and have
> no problems accessing any table on that.

AFAIR, all the tables in the employee database have rights granted to
PUBLIC.  This isn't something you should do with a real-life database,
though.

> Can you possibly help me or point me in the right direction?

If you don't know the db owner's credentials then log in as SYSDBA.

If you post again, would you please exclude all the company stuff in
the sig of your posting.

Helen

---
https://www.avg.com