Hello all,

for  a  local  conference,  I    am    preparing   a   session   for a
Firebird  beginners'  group,  to  demonstrate  the  basics  of  Stored
Procedures and their usage from different clients.

One scenario is about transforming a *slightly* complex sql query into
a selectable stored proc which will yield the same result.

I stumbled over something strange:
Query  and  SP  are  running with similar same speed on 2.5.7, which I
have   in  production  systems. But query is *MUCH* slower than stored
proc  on  different(!)  2.5.3  systems  (more  rarely used machines, I
failed to upgrade so far).

2.5.7. systems: ~ 3 seconds for Query and SP
2.5.3. systems: ~ 3 seconds for SP, 15 minutes(!) for Query
always  tested  from  a  fresh restored database with starting results
normalized to 0,00.

It  does  not look like a difference in the machines' hardware or even
the used antivirus or OS can cause this big a difference.

Just  out   of   curiosity  - because all production systems should be
updated  to  at  least  2.5.7  anyway:   has   there   been   such  an
improvement between sub releases?

I checked the change logs:
https://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/Firebird-2.5.8-ReleaseNotes.pdf
and  checked  all  between  2.5.3  and  2.5.8,  but found nothing that
matches this experience.

Query  is  pretty  much straigthforward; one nested subquery to update
outer stream, no UDF or other built-in functions

best regards,
André

  • [firebir... André Knappstein knappst...@beta-eigenheim.de [firebird-support]
    • Re:... liviuslivius liviusliv...@poczta.onet.pl [firebird-support]