On 25-11-2020 10:13, 'River~~' river14ap...@gmail.com [firebird-support]
wrote:
[..]
> I am also interested to know if you find my syntax works on v2.5, if
> you still have it installed to test it? Please don't go to the trouble
> of re-installing it just to test it.
>
> It is arguable that v3 is correct in rejecting the syntax you have
> previously used, because it does not make logical sense to tell the
> database engine to insert a null when you mean something else. The
> syntax I suggested will be more portable to other db engines because
> it is closer to the standard.

That is not the problem, the solution Walter used in Firebird 2.5 would
work in Firebird 3 as well. The problem is that Walter switched from
auto-increment columns generated by a trigger, to using identity columns.

When you use a trigger, you can explicitly handle null to generate a
value, but when using an identity column, then you either have to leave
out the column so it is generated, or you need to specify a non-null value.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel
  • ... 'Walter R. Ojeda Valiente' sistemas2000profesio...@gmail.com [firebird-support]