I'm using MAMP on a Mac, not XAMPP on Windows. Also I only know a little
PHP; I can't follow the opening "Line Commands/Executable/Arguments" part
of your code. (Is that even code, or just a comment of some kind?) Perhaps
a bigger difference is that I'm not using "http://localhost";...  As I said,
I've configured Apache + my hosts file so that, if my live page is
http://mydomain.com/... then the local equivalent is http://mydomain.dev/...
That's the one I'm trying to get Firebug to open.

I'm surprised I haven't been able to find any clear documentation for how
to set up the arguments; what I have seen implies that the argument format
would be different for different platforms and editors, and there are a lot
of possible combinations.

In that other thread you said "I configured a proxy script that translates
the URL into the filesystem path and then the script opens the editor. In
this way I can easily edit long .css or .js files."  By proxy script did
you mean the PHP code you showed above? Did that mean you DID find a way to
have Firebug open your local/dev files with the Open With Editor command?
Or are you still limited to having Firebug only open files over the
Internet?

As far as I know, there is no real difference between "http://foo.dev";
(local Apache) and "http://foo.com"; (online Apache). I suspect my problem
is just that I can't find any documentation for what the argument should
look like. Why would they put a feature into Firebug and then fail to
explain it anywhere?

Lawrence San
Business Writing: Santhology.com
Cartoon Stories for Thoughtful People: Sanstudio.com

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebug/CAMoMLKiFiLs3jYkUwEDK4%3D1cO6hyOLL_1nAyqi4ygNm_7ubOYQ%40mail.gmail.com.