I have the same problem. The recent update of Firefox caused my Firebug to
become inactive. I can see the icon, but on clicking it, the Firebug window
does not show up any more. I am on Mac OSX and using Firefox 30.0.

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:30.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/30.0
I have Firebug 2.0 installed.

Thanks for looking into this.
- Anupam