On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 03:22:44PM +0100, Morten Gausland wrote:
> I'm using the firewall script, and find it excellent (especially since
> I'm new to Linux). Trying to set up a server with a firewall and NAT
> connected to the internet on a Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem (ADSL in
> France). I need to communicate with the outside world from a WinXP box
> on my LAN. All the "basic" functionality (MSN Messenger, FTP, HTTP,
> Telnet) is working fine,

That's good to hear.

> Netmeeting: Having confirmed that Netmeeting will not function without
> doing anything "special", I've installed NMPROXY
> (http://www.cryogenic.net/nmproxy.html#WhatDo ) on the Linux box. I can
> still not get it to work properly.

I've never used NMPROXY before.

> 1. Following the recommendation for NMPROXY:
(snip)
> Have I configured firewall.conf correctly?

They appear to recommend redirecting the traffic on 1720 to localhost
(127.0.0.1).  In your configuration you are redirecting traffic on port
1720 to 192.168.0.1 (your WinXP box), not 127.0.0.1.

You appear to have opened the requested ports.

> 2. Do I explicitly have to allow traffic on incoming ports, or is it
> enough if e.g. one port is referenced in PORT_FORWARDS ?

If you forward a port, it is automatically opened.

> 3. Do I have to uncomment #ALLOWED_PROTOCOLS, or are all protocols
> accepted by default?

The firewall script defaults to allowing nothing.  That means if you
don't specifically indicate that it should be allow it isn't.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar