I have been trying to setup squid as a transparent proxy on a server
that also allows public access to apache/port 80 on the external ip.
After a lot of debugging, I found that the Squid redirect feature did
not work unless I disabled incoming port 80 traffic for the external ip.

After even more testing, I found that I could use the Squid redirect and
still allow incoming port 80 if I move the call to 'masq_networks' above
'allowed_port' in the 'create_rules' function in /etc/init.d/firewall.

So, my questions are 1) is there a reason I should not do it this way?
And 2) is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks,
Jacob