Dear John P. and FIS Colleagues,

Thanks for the kickoff text. It a discussion on new themes that only
occasionally and very superficially has surfaced in this list.
Intelligence, the information flow in organizations, distributed
knowledge, direct crowd enlistment in scientific activities... It sounds
rather esoteric, but in the historical perspective the phenomenon is far
from new. Along the biggest social transformations, the "new information
orders" have been generated precisely by new ways to circulate
knowledge/information across social agents--often kept away from the
initial Internet impact was felt, there appeared several studies on
those wide historical transformations caused by the arrival of new
social information flows --O'Donnell, Hobart & Schiffman, Lanham, Poe...

But there is a difference, in my opinion, in the topic addressed by John
P., it is the intriguing, more direct involvement of software beyond the
rather passive, underground role it generally plays.  "Organizational
processes frozen into the artifact--though not fossilized". Information
Technologies are producing an amazing mix of new practices and new
networkings that generate growing impacts in economic activities, and in
the capability to create new solutions and innovations. So, the three
final questions are quite pertinent. In my view, there exist the
collective intelligence phenomenon, innovation may indeed benefit from
this new info-crowd turn,  and other societal changes  are occurring
(from new forms of social uprising  and revolt, to the detriment of the
"natural info flows" --conversation--, an increase of individual
isolation, diminished happiness indicators, etc.)

Brave New World? Not yet, but who knows...

best ---Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza, Spain