----- Original Message -----
*From:* Joseph Brenner <mailto:joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>
*To:* Stanley N Salthe <mailto:ssal...@binghamton.edu> ; fis <mailto:fis@listas.unizar.es> ; Robert Ulanowicz <mailto:u...@umces.edu>
*Sent:* Monday, September 08, 2014 6:01 PM
*Subject:* Re: [Fis] information.energy

Dear Stan, Bob and All,

This was a very interesting thread which I feel is worth coming back to. First of all, I see the attitudes of Stan and Bob as not mutually exclusive but complementary. What 'history' means in the 'dim region' where it all began is pretty dim. Second, I agree with Stan's formulation that information implies more than one entity. This suggests to me that it, like energy, is a dualism, sharing some of the dualistic properties of that dim region, somwhere between what is and, to use Arthur Eddington's phrase, what is not.

Please do not ask me if and how the above idea can be proven. I consider it as worth mentioning in the context of the foundations of information science because it leaves the door open to the complexities and contradictions of information you much earlier and later I have been struggling with.

It is even possible that Peirce's notions of Firstness and Secondness could be related to the above. The problems with these notions would be, then, a consequence of his trying to keep them separate to avoid contradictions, which he did not like.

Best regards,

Joseph