Dear colleagues,

Raquel's question was quite intriguing--and difficult to answer for me. In different ways I tend to disagree with all the previous responses --Karl, Pridi, Jerry. The problem is that I cannot provide a good one of my own. Trying to generalize, the molecular bookkeeping mentioned by Bob and also by Jerry is physico-chemically well characterized, but at the level of bacteria, the corresponding "informational bookkeeping" looks quite different--in what ways? Could someone summarize the main bookkeeping differences between them?

best --Pedro

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto:         Re: [Fis] Informational Bookkeeping
Fecha:  Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:51:28 -0400
De:     Jerry LR Chandler <jerry_lr_chand...@me.com>
A:      Raquel del Moral <rdelmoral.i...@aragon.es>

Raquel:

The bookkeeping of cells and all other living creatures is in terms of atomic
numbers.

The exactness of this bookkeeping is ensured by the physical laws of the
conservation of mass and the conservation of electricity.

The method of bookkeeping is by the principles of relatonomics (a term coined
for the purpose of bookkeeping by the electrical content of the atomic numbers.)

Cheers

Jerry

On Sep 8, 2014, at 8:11 AM, Raquel del Moral <rdelmoral.i...@aragon.es> wrote:

> Dear Pedro,
> > The concept of bookkeeping looks very interesting for biology, however, I can't see clearly how to apply it below the level of nervous systems. "Counting" maybe found in most biomolecules, but really registering in a book keeping manner is possible in the lower levels? e.g. unicellulars. Do you think that they modify their behaviour after checking their own bookkeeping registers? > > Just this brief comment! > > Best,
> Raquel

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza, Spain