Dear Steven and colleagues,

I did not (yet) study your approach. Is there a paper that can be read as an
introduction?

It seems to me that one can distinguish between formal and substantial theories
of information. Shannon’s mathematical theory is a formal apparatus: the design
and the results do not yet have meaning without an interpretation in a
substantial context. On the other side, a theory about, for example,
neuro-information is a special theory. One can in this context use information
theory as a statistical tool (among other tools). Sometimes, one can move
beyond description. :)

The advantage of information theory, from this perspective of special theories,
is that the formal apparatus allows us sometimes to move between domains
heuristically. For example, a model of the brain can perhaps be used
metaphorically for culture or the economy (or vice versa). The advantages have
to be shown in empirical research: which questions can be addressed and which
puzzles be solved?

Best,

Loet

  _____