Dear Joseph,

On 30 Jan 2016, at 19:31, Joseph Brenner wrote:

Dear John,

Sorry you have been ill.

I agree fully with your statement: All of these explanations, and even stating the problem, require information notions, not just energy as in classical physics.

What I object to are statements or implications that information, whether in boundaries or not, is ontologically prior to and/or independent of energy.

I beg to differ on this. I consider Shannon information as given freely by the numeration of natural numbers in base two or higher, or sequence of them.

The interesting things is not information/number, but the interpretation of such information, and this can be defined at first by what the universal machines do when given such information/number.

This is how the positions of people like Lloyd and Tegmark come out, giving 'computation' an agential, anthropomorphically flavored role at the ground of the universe.

Lloyd and Tegmark seem not really aware of the importance of the discovery of the universal machine, by Emil Post, Alan Turing, Alonzo Church, and some others. That is mainly a discovery in arithmetic, as a very weak segment of arithmetic is already Turing universal, and so emulate all Turing universal system.

This is not anthropomorphically flavored, it is Turing-machine, or universal number-morphically flavored. A concept definable in elementary arithmetic. That concept generalizes both human, bacteria, and the physical computer.

It is also a theorem of arithmetic, accessible to the universal machine themselves, and once they "believe" in enough induction axiom, they get the cognitive ability to deduce their own limitation, and to begin to measure the gap between provable and true. A gap which entails many modal nuances in the ways the machine can refer to itself, and what she can prove and expect, and hope or fear with respect to some universal goal (like "help yourself").

The establishment by Wu Kun and others of information as a categoryimplies separation only in classical logic and category theory, which are just as limiting as the classical physics John refers to.

Classical logic is the simplest logic, and so the more polite to use to describe the other logics. None of the internal logics of the universal machine is classical logic. It oscillates between intuitionist logic and quantum logic, with some intuitionist quantum logic and quantum intuitionist logic.

A basic problem is the inability of people to keep in mind the operation of two aspects of phenomena, cooperative and antagonistic, at the same time.

I can agree with this. My favorite exemple is that intelligence is needed to develop competence, but competence has a negative feedback on intelligence.

Computers work according to algorithms.

Not really. They work according to data, number, information, that they interpret at some level like an algorithm, or like data.

The ground of the universe, in my view, is in the tension, not the separation, between being and non-being, and no algorithm can handle that (now who is being anthropomorphic?!)

Tegmark and Lloyd miss that elementary arithmetic is Turing complete. So we don't know really if there is a physical universe.

We know only that there is an infinitely complex reality of all computations, in arithmetic. Complex, as most relations between form and function are not algorithmically decidable.

Yet, the self-reference ability of the universal machine suggests to define the physical reality by what makes some number dream stable and sharable, and apparently it is not much more than self-referential correctness and consistency. The (full) arithmetical reality, the one which contains all prime numbers and "can decide" the Riemann hypothesis, is also full of relative number experience/dream, some stable and sharable. In a testable way, at least for precise version like classical computationalism.

Mechanism predicts the multi-verse apparent empiric structure by a more general multi-experiences structure. But it is not human experience, it is the universal machine experience. If we are not machine, this provides the tool to measure the degree of (local) non-computationalism. In that case I would bet we are in a (physical, in the computationalist sense described above) simulation.

Best,

Bruno

Cheers,

Joseph