Dear FISers,

Tomorrow we will start the new session on Infobiosemiotics, by Soeren Brier.
Before so, let me pen some comments.

First, to join Plamen and others in thanking Louis. Particularly interesting
for me was his last text on recursive distinctioning. Quite curiously, an old
work of mine I mentioned weeks ago was about a sort of algebra for distinctions
(to be applied to a putative "language of cells" via signaling systems) that
contains remarkable similarities. Our elimination of items in the letter
strings was based on three principles: symmetry, economy, and parsimony... we
used "0" and inverse elements, and after the arrival of some new letters-signs
the whole set/node was collapsing and "emitting", etc. etc. Anyhow, I will
re-read with high interest, looking for further connections & ideas.

About some of the biological points raised in the discussion a few days ago
(unfortunately I was caught in administrative compromises), I would reiterate
that the present day biomolecular panorama of the simplest cells suggests a
more cogent relationship between self-production and communication. I already
gave some arguments: direct communication with the world is a prerequisite for
organizing a metabolically efficient cellular system. Such direct communication
via "one component systems" outnumbers any other signaling tools; this is well
known in signaling science more than 10 years ago but has had no general impact
yet.  The prokaryote is not really so autopoietic, it could be something else
(maybe "infopoietic", but is the label needed??)... What the theme strongly
suggests is a reconceptualization on how the cell "is in the world," only
viable through unending communication tricks with the environment.
Communication for "eking out" a life runs densely across the whole evolutionary
process. Even more, it runs very deeply in the innards of our social life, in a
curious trans-kingdom evolutionary twist. As I remarked in the previous session
with Maxine, the origins of our own human communication via language are
closely related to our wild "microbiome experiment". Given that we count with
50% less microbiota in our gut and we have to produce an extra 20% of metabolic
output, the social knitting via language for group feeding (cooking,
fermentation, etc.) made the miracle. The big, communicative "social brain"
(Allman, Dunbar) was essentially born for achieving group nutritional survival.
Group communion... as is symbolically reminded in some religious rites. (Well,
as an aside, my own mini-group is cooperating in some microbiome research on a
very essential nutrient, with very curious results that we will publicize quite
soon. I cannot help but having the theme in mind!). Anyhow, the final point
from this ignored vital dependence and from similar ones is that we live
crisscrossed by multitude of information flows that we are unaware of. That
some disciplines could have deciphered faster some of them has had a tremendous
influence on how we have approached during last two generations the whole
information phenomena. Witness the terrible conceptual problems we have in
whatever aggregate scales (often, already navigated elegantly by nervous
systems).

The gist of the above tangents, is that some sort of premature closure in the
the relationship between life and formal/philosophical arenas has introduced an
unnecessary, cumbersome complexity. New forms of thought and of expression may
be at hand to clarify the biological/social roots of information/communication
phenomena, also for better capturing the personal meanings of life in these
strange times of information and complexity overload. McLuhan revisited... And
finally, a hint addressed to the quantum oriented colleagues: "When we look at
a biological system we are looking at the face of the underlying physics of the
universe." (Michael Conrad, First FIS Conference, Madrid 1994).

It will be quite interesting continuing the present discussion under the new
themes proposed by Soeren.

Best regards
--Pedro