Dear Terry and FIS colleagues,
I think you make a good point. I was reminded on the problems my research group has found in the development of our "Sociotype project", cooperating with social science groups and psychologists. The lack of communication in between those closer to formal fields or just within natural sciences (our case) and the humanities and social science fields is amazing. From my point of view they strongly defend some form of "obscurity", in the sense that they do not accept but a total disciplinary autonomy often ideologically rooted. Perhaps I am exaggerating, as the intrinsic complexity of those matters is only amenable to "foundations" from discoursive approaches... Well, in any case a metaphorical idea about those principles of Information Science is that they can work as "posts" where new electric lines may be tended, so that they can bring new light to new pockets within those ultracomplex realms. The gap between sceince-humanities might be well crossed by info science. (Finally let me apologize for not having processed yet all the late messages, I have a slow digestion)
Best--Pedro