To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <fis@listas.unizar.es>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 2:19 PM
Subject: Fw: [Fis] art and meaning

Dear Pavel,
If we limit the question on "meaning" to "meaning for us humans", I'm affraid we are today in the fog of our subjectivity and irrational cognitive dimensions as you say. But if we try to address the subject of meaning for simple living
organisms, we can get some usable answers.
You may remember the case of meaning generation modelized for a system
submitted to a constraint where relations between information and meaning are
explicited (short paper: http://crmenant.free.fr/ResUK/index.HTM).
The proposed Meaning Generator System is simple and applies easily to simple animals. But it becomes more difficult to use when the constraints of the system are difficult to identify. This is the case for us humans where free will, emotions
and consciousness are not well enough understood today.
And regarding art as an mode of human expression, I feel we can consider it as being a way to satisfy our anxiety limitation constraint. More on this at http://www.mdpi.org/fis2005/F.45.paper.pdf
So bottom line, I feel we can say two things:
- Relations between information and meaning are addressable assuming we can define the constraints of the system generating the meaningful information.
- Correctly addressing the notion of meaning for us humans needs a better
understanding of our nature (consciousness, free will, subjectivity, emotions ..) in order to get clear enough an understanding of our constraints. And art is part of
our constraints satisfactions.
All the best
Christophe Menant