Yes, Igor, that is how I define the neo-evolutionary model of a triple
helix: three coordinating mechansims can be expected to interact into a
complex dynamics. The market at each moment of time, knowledge production
and innovation over time, and normative control by government and
management. The system operates in terms of fluxes; the networks of
university-industry-government relations provide the neo-institutional
retention mechanisms.

On cannot expect such a system to come to rest; the non-linear dynamics are
non-trivial. Furthermore, the various subdynamics operate in terms of
codified expectations of themselves and each other. Thus, the system become
highly anticipatory; the past is continuously rewritten from the perspective
of the future. The latter is specified in terms of expectations.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/