(I am reintroducing this message from Bob some weeks ago that the server had left in the could. It is an interesting preparation for the next discussion session, to start soon ... ---Pedro)

Hi Pedro et al.

The emergence of new phenomena occurs at the edge of chaos. The
emergence of a new medium which is both a technique of communication
and  information organization must therefore occurs at the edge of
chaos which occurs whenever there is some form of information
overload. I believe that info overload is the engine of creation for
new media. For example writing emerged to deal with overload of
economic data in Sumer as described in my book the Sixth Language and
my previous post to the FIS list that Pedro commented on July 10th.

Bob

On 10-July-07, Pedro Marijuan wrote:

Dear FIS colleagues,

Thanks to Bob for all his mindful contents. Given the many ideas
to comment in his draft, I will briefly refer to a couple of them
just at the beginning of the paper. First, on "concepts" as the
basic stuff of human language-communication. And second, on the
notion of "information overload".

About the former, if one is interested on the "motor" side of the
action-perception cycle that seemingly organizes the neurodynamics
of vertebrate brains, there might be alternative approaches to
"concepts". Alain Berthoz general vision, and more concretely, J.
Fuster who made a few years ago (2003) the proposal of "cognits",
might deserve be entered into the discussion... one of the central
points is that nowadays we are missing a good, fertile synthesis
around the enormous experimental accumulation in neuroscience last
decades (as claimed by Edelman, Arbib, etc.). Anyhow, I leave
here, as this theme probably will reappear in the session next
September.

The "information overload" theme (in the evolution of social modes
of communication), is really intriguing. Should we take it, say,
in its prima facie? I am inclined to put it into question, at
least to have an excuse and try to unturn that pretty stone...

best regards

Pedro