From: Bill Hall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June 2008 6:57 PM
To: 'bob logan'; 'fis@listas.unizar.es'
Subject: RE: [Fis] Breaking my silence

I have been a lurker on FIS for nearly a year, and have found the discussions to be quite interesting. However, I have been focused primarily on writing for formal publication, rather than in discussion forums (although I do contribute rarely to other forums where I have been a long-time member and once active, e.g., in the areas of epistemology, autopoiesis and knowledge management practice). However, Bob Logan’s contribution today leads me to break my silence here, and to seek feedback on one of my writing projects that I think is central to the foundations of information systems.

Bob has pointed us to some of his recent manuscripts and other work on the emergence of organization, neo-dualism and the ‘symbolosphere’. I reach similar conclusions, but from very different source materials. (Except for citations to Kauffman and trivial ones to Kuhn and Popper, there is no overlap in our reference material). Although I am an evolutionary biologist by training (PhD Harvard, 1973), with two years postdoctoral study of epistemology and the history and philosophy of science as applied to my research into evolution and speciation, I spent the last 25 years until my retirement in July last year in a variety of documentation and knowledge management roles in industry. (My 1983 paper on the epistemology of the comparative approach as used in biology, http://tinyurl.com/pmaln, describes my postdoctoral findings). However, since 2000 I have returned (initially part time) to the academic world to understand the nature of organizations and organizational knowledge, where organization covers everything from the first living things to emerging ‘social’ organizations including firms, industry clusters and even nation states.

My intellectual journey has led me to combine Maturana and Varela’s concept of autopoiesis with Karl Popper’s evolutionary epistemology in three ‘worlds’, biosemiotics (Howard Pattee, Peter Corning, Jesper Hoffmeyer and Claus Emmeche) and aspects of hierarchy theory (Herbert Simon, Stan Salthe). My most recent MS is “Autopoiesis and Knowledge in the Emergence of Self-Sustaining Organizations” coauthored with a couple of my previous students has been submitted for inclusion in a book on Autopoiesis in Organizations and Information Systems being edited by Rodrigo Magalhaes (It can be accessed via http://tinyurl.com/6lvfkv Note, so as not to cause problems with the publisher, this paper will be removed from my web site in two weeks, but you are welcome to download it now). A more biologically oriented working paper “Emergence and growth of knowledge and diversity in hierarchically complex living systems”. Workshop on Selection, Self-Organization and Diversity CSIRO Centre for Complex Systems Science and ARC Complex Open Systems Network, Katoomba, NSW, Australia 17-18 May 2006 (http://tinyurl.com/p2fl7) gives more background on the similarities between genetic information and printed information. Other, earlier papers can also be found via my publications list (http://www.orgs-evolution-knowledge.net/Index/PapersandPresentations.htm).

To very briefly summarise some of my arguments. Popper (1972 and later) defines knowledge as solutions to problems and argues that all knowledge is constructed in living entities (world 2), but can be articulated into persistent artifacts (world 3) where its existence and content can be demonstrated intersubjectively by taking it back into the living entity for application to the real world (world 1). Popper explains how the iterated process of generating tentative solutions and selectively eliminating those that fail (i.e., errors) leads over time to the growth of knowledge. Maturana and Varela’s concept of autopoiesis defines the nature of living things as autonomously self-producing entities which continuously produce their own organization, and explains how survival knowledge is embodied in the structural organization of the autopoietic entity. I argue that in time, mechanisms will eventually evolve where knowledge can be stored and replicated in inert forms, such as DNA and writing. This corresponds to the two ‘codes’ described in Hoffmeyer and Emmeche’s code duality papers. I also argue that autopoietic entities can emerge at any level of organization where a sufficient variety of interacting components exist to build organizationally closed systems: e.g., single cells, multicellular organisms, insect colonies and other colonial organisms, human social organizations such as firms, etc. At each level of organization where autopoietic systems emerge there is the potential to evolve the two worlds of knowledge.

In this picture, the primary commodity is knowledge to solve problems of life. The mathematics of information theory have little applicability until means are evolved to transmit knowledge in codified form between entities and decode it. Note, knowledge expressed in the form of nucleotide sequences in DNA has not been codified in any sense – although it is now expressed in the form of a code it is the product of variation combined with the selective elimination of sequences through the elimination of failed entities.  Information theory really becomes applicable only with the development of human language and the means to codify and transmit it via world 3.

Hopefully the above will whet your interests enough to read the draft book chapter and/or the workshop paper and give me some feedback. I think the arguments I present are strong, but as a Popperian, I am sure that they can be improved before formal publication with the help of some stringent criticism.

Many thanks, and regards,

Bill

William P. (Bill) Hall, PhD
Documentation and Knowledge Management Systems Analyst

PO Box 94
Riddells Creek, Vic. 3431
Tel: +61 3 5428 6246
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

National Fellow
Australian Centre for Science, Innovation and Society
University of Melbourne
ICT 5.59, 111 Barry St., Carlton
Tel: +61 3 8344 1530 (Mon, Tue, Thurs only)