From: fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es [mailto:fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es] On
Behalf Of Loet Leydesdorff
Sent: den 25 september 2010 10:48
To: 'Joseph Brenner'; 'Stanley N Salthe'; fis@listas.unizar.es
Subject: Re: [Fis] Revisiting the Fluctuon Model

Dear Joe,

Please let me start by repeating my idea that fluctuons are "its", that is,
energy in some form. If (mathematical) idealism is anti-realist, this is
certainly not what I would consider Conrad's theory to be. Stan comes to the
same conclusion, that fluctuons are its, but this suggests to him a
non-materialist conception of information. This is a first place where
something like another logic is needed that can incorporate the
material-energetic and non-material aspects of information.

Can this issue not simply be solved by returning to Shannon's concept of
information. Bits of information are dimensionless. In S = k(B) H, the
Boltzmann constant provides the dimensionality.

One should not confuse this mathematical concept of information with the
biologically inspired concept of information as "a difference which makes a
difference" (Bateson). This is observed information by a system which can
provide meaning to the information.

I would not call this "anti-realist", but "anti-positivist". The specification
in the mathematical discourse remains res cogitans (as different from res
extensa). All of physics also has this epistemological status. All other
science, too, but sometimes positivism is ideologically prevailing.

Best wishes,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
l...@leydesdorff.net <mailto:l...@leydesdorff.net> ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/