              From: Christophe Menant christophe.men...@hotmail.fr
              To: fis@listas.unizar.es
              Sent: mié 24/11/10 09:47
              Subject: Fwd: [Fis] FW:  Fw: INTELLIGENCE & INFORMATION
    Resent to the correct address
-------------------------
 From: christophe.men...@hotmail.fr
 To: fis-boun...@listas.unizar.es
 Subject: FW: [Fis] Fw: INTELLIGENCE & INFORMATION
 Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:33:12 +0100
   Dear Colleagues,
 Looking at relations between information and intelligence brings in
the need to explicit the agents we are considering, as the
intelligence of a unicellular organism has not much to do with the
intelligence of a human being.
 An evolutionary approach may be a usable path. Begin with simple
organisms and progressively chain on more complex ones.
 In order to begin with simple enough a definition of intelligence,
we can use Gordana’s one where the intelligence of an agent is
«the ability to face the world in a meaningful way», and also use
Stan's linking of this point to a process of interpretation by the
agent relatively to its needs.
 Putting these two perspectives together can lead to define
intelligence as the «interpretation of a received information to
generate a meaningful information (a meaning) that will be used by
the agent to satisfy its needs thru action implementation ». The
agent can be a simple organism or a human being, with of course
different needs to satisfy. So the evolutionnary perspective, where
intelligence is linked with information (using an already presented
approach: http://www.mdpi.org/entropy/papers/e5020193.pdf [1]).
 Needs of a paramecium, like «stay alive» are much simpler to
define than human needs like «increase happyness». But in both
cases we have information (coming from the environment or from the
organism) that is related to the needs in order to generate
meaningful information used to produce an action (physical or mental)
aimed at the satisfaction of the needs (i.e. behave intelligenly by
«facing the world in a meaningful way»).
 (more on meaning generation vs needs/contraints satisfaction at
http://crmenant.free.fr/ResUK/MGS.pdf [2] ).
 But there is an important difference between animals and humans that
brings in heavy concerns. It is human consciousness, be it first
person type (phenomenal consciousness: "what it is like to experience
something") or third person type (self-consciousness: perceiving
oneself as existing in the environment). The problem is that the
nature of human consciousness is today a mystery for science and
philosophy. So the nature of human intelligence (with its relations
with information and knowledge) has to be considered as unknown. Only
its behavioral consequences are understandable to some extend.
 However, we can work on the relations between information and
intelligence for animals and limit the human case to intelligent
behaviour.
 All the best
 Christophe