As my second posting for the week:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stanley N Salthe <ssal...@binghamton.edu>
Date: Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Fis] Doctrine of Limitation
To: "Pedro C. Marijuan" <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

Replying to Pedro, who asked:

>Optimality principles can be discussed now, but limitation may be
easier. Why the cell, any cell, does not grow indefinitely its genome
(stock of knowledge) so to indefinitely increase its repertoire of
intelligent mechanisms? Why the proteins encoded in bacterial genomes,
the intracellular "intelligent" components or molecular agents, are not
far bigger and powerful? And why do they become substantially "smaller"
than their eukaryotic counterparts? Limitations of genome size, of
energetics of protein synthesis, and those due to the folding process
("problem") have to be invoked, among others.

I like to point out a limitation that faces all dissipative structures --
senescence.  Here again is the scheme:
---------------------------

IMMATURE STAGE

     Relatively high energy density (per unit mass) flow rate

     Relatively small size and/or gross mattergy throughput

     Rate of acquisition of informational constraints relatively high, along
with high growth rate

     Internal stability relatively low (it is changing fast), but dynamical
stability (persistence) is high

     Homeorhetic stability to same-scale perturbations relatively high

 MATURE STAGE (only in relatively very stable systems)

     Declining energy density flow rate is still sufficient for recovery
from perturbations

     Size and gross throughput is typical for the kind of system

     Form is definitive for the kind of system

     Internal stability adequate for system persistence

     Homeostatic stability to same-scale perturbations adequate for recovery

 SENESCENT STAGE

     Energy density flow rate gradually dropping below functional
requirements

     Gross mattergy throughput high but its increase is decelerating

     Form increasingly accumulates deforming marks as a result of
encounters, as part of individuation

     Internal stability of system becoming high to the point of
inflexibility

     Homeostatic stability to same-scale perturbations declining

 TABLE 1: Thermodynamic and informational criteria of the developmental
stages of dissipative structures. See Salthe (1989, 1993) for more details
and citations.

-----------------------
Combining this with the limitations on length of life and the Darwinian
postulate about the urgency to reproduce more rapidly than others in a
population, we can generate an argument that there would be no point to
elaboration beyond some basic minimum.  This is advanced upon the notion
that the purpose of living forms is simply to reproduce.

Adding to this general point, I would also cite a paper in *Science* (330:
920-921) 2010: "Irremedial Complexity" by Gray et al, which posits that cell
machinery -- like a Rube Goldberg machine -- is much more complicated than
it needs to be to perform its functions.

The more complicated a system is, the more there is that can go wrong.  This
principle adds to the senescence argument, urging that systems stay simple,
live fast, and die a multiple parent.

STAN