Saturday, January 29, 2011, 9:39:09 PM, Stanley wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Gavin Ritz <garr...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> SS: Info theory presumably applies to everything and anything.

> GR: It was never intended to apply to anything but communication
> instruments. That is sending English language down a pipe.

> S: Since it was abstracted from human communication systems, it has
> taken on a 'life of its own', as any abstraction has a right to do.

I   agree   with   this.  I'm no mathematician, but I believe that the
broader  significance  of  Shannon's  work was a method of quantifying
"pure  pattern".  This  was  then  adopted  by physicists who saw that
material  form  can  be treated as pure patterns, and thus we get such
concepts as the conservation of "information" in quantum mechanics and
in  black  holes.  "Conservation  of information" can be translated as
meaning   that   physical   laws  do  not break down, and the state of
affairs  at  one  time  can  be  considered  "encoded" in the state of
affairs at another time. For instance, events within the event horizon
of  a  black hole (or, on the holographic principle, on the surface of
the  event  horizon) could, in principle, be determined by examination
of the Hawking radiation that escapes as the hole diminishes.

> I think
> the crux of the matter is being examined right now -- is information
> ('bit') primal or is stuff ('it') primal?  In my view there needs to
> be stuff in order for there to be a perspective, and there needs to
> be a perspective before there is anything to communicate.

I  share  your  focus  on  perspective (and also context), but I'm not
clear why perspective requires "stuff" -- but see below.

> Information is an abstraction related closely to form, which it is
> supposed always could be translated to instructions in a computer,
> creating 'bits' from inspection of 'its'.  Then the supposition is
> that The World also reckons with information, leading to" 'its from
> 'bits' ".  This, to me, is implausible.

I tend to feel the same way about "it from bit", but I think it should
perhaps  be  taken as implying that the idea of substance derives from
form,  which to me is highly plausible. We can take the view that form
is  what  we encounter -- at all levels, personally and scientifically
--  and  substance  a  theoretical entity or set of such. This view is
related  to  philosophical  idealism,  and  is,  like that, I believe,
strictly irrefutable. By the same token, being unverifiable, it has no
practical  consequences. Which is more real, or which came first, form
or substance? These questions are, strictly speaking, meaningless.

Etymologically,  "information" is extremely closely related to "form",
and  the  concept  of  information  used in physics simply IS material
form,  where  that is generalised from shape to encompass all material
properties.  Just as past and future states of affairs are encoded in
the  present,  so  genetic  information  is encoded in DNA. Biological
information  is  just a subset of physical information. DNA molecules,
like  all  physical  entities,  encode  the  outcomes  of all of their
potential  interactions,  but  in  the  case  of  DNA the outcomes are
constrained by the cellular context.

I'm  currently  working  on  a paper in which I argue that intentional
information   --   using   "intentional"   in  Brentano's  sense,  and
encompassing  meaning  and  all  mental  content -- is best considered
encoded  in  physical/biological  information,  being  decoded in use.
Perspective is obviously highly relevant here, but it seems to me that
it  can  probably  be  explained  in  (literally)  formal  terms, that
substance  as such need not enter the picture, but perhaps I'm missing
something?

--
Robin Faichney
<http://www.robinfaichney.org/>