Message from John Collier

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto:         Fwd: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
Fecha:  Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:29:17 +0200
De:     John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>
Para:   Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.i...@aragon.es>

A response to Jerry

A series of responses to recent posts of James, Gavin, Steven, Stan, Pedro, zyx, Joe, and koichiro.
FIS response March 14, 2011

I often disagree with Jerry, but in this case I endorse pretty much everything he says. Our disagreements have been beneficial to my own understanding, even if I have not been able to revise my views.

On a different note, I draw the members of this list to http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/44680

  *An inordinate fondness for bits*

I have a copy of this book, and I find some of the papers quite bizarre, which is unusual for me as I am typically open to broad notions of the nature of information. There are many chapters by authors I know and greatly respect, and largely agree with, so overall I can recommend the book. But I also agree with the reviewer that there are rather extreme but interesting views in the last part. My brief exposure to Sufism is that God is Hu, the first distinction.The idea is that of a breath that separates chaos from order. As I believe that information is grounded in distinctions, I cannot reject this notion, though I would be very reluctant to call it God.

Best to all,
John

Professor John Collier, Acting HoS  and Acting Deputy HoS
               colli...@ukzn.ac.za
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292       F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://collier.ukzn.ac.za/